Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

His belly is hard and his shaking, Ares his 7,5 years old,

Customer Question

His belly is hard and his shaking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ares his 7,5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ares?
Customer: No nothing else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer...???
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's been 1.5 hours since I asked my question and I still didn't get any response. Why is that?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, JA Customer. Our experts come online at various times and last night was no different. I am here to help now. How is Ares feeling this morning?

1) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
2) Any change in diet? new treats? human food?
3) Any risk of ingesting parts of toys or household items?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None of the above

At 7.5 years of age, the tension in the abdomen and shaking is suspicious for abdominal or back pain. I would recommend having him examined to determine the cause, especially because there are no other symptoms. When the pet is obviously uncomfortable but not showing enough signs for us to be certain of what is going on, it's best to defer to a medical professional who has the ability to perform a thorough exam in person and run diagnostics to help diagnose the problem.

Failing this, the safest approach will be to treat as though this is a GI upset. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can begin offering a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the suspect GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

If other symptoms develop, please let me know and I will be happy to help you further.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?