Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog was fine until she had her last letpo vaccine. She

Customer Question

My dog was fine until she had her last letpo vaccine. She was a rescue puppy. Three days later is vomited all her dinner and is only eating very little. She does drink water, but throws that up too afterca couple of hrs. My vet put her on Pepcid AC 10 mg twice a day and today started her on an appetite stimulant. She has lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks. JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual? Customer: Not to my knowledge and all my dogs are contained inside a fenced yard JA: What is the dog's name? Customer: Shunka - Lakota for puppy. JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shunka? Customer: She is @ 4 months old. When I rescued her she was malnourished and had demodex mange. She recovered nicely from a that and 2 weeks ago she weighed 34 lbs. Today she weighed 25. X-rays show no obstructions and her blood work was normal 2 weeks ago. At first she had trouble swallowing and would make an odd smacking sound, chew her food into very small pieces and then it that. She will not eat rice, rice and gravy, chicken , chicken and gravy, eggs, cheese, anything a normal dog might like - she just sniffs. It is like she wants to eat, but is afraid of being sick

Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she only been on Pepcid and an appetite stimulant? Any injectable treatments?

Were her bloods rechecked since this started?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Her blood work has not been rechecked. Her gums are nice and pink. My vet of 30 years retired last year and the vets there now are much younger. I really think Dr Joe could have figured this out. If she does eat soon - she will not make it.
More research last night - she might have pyloric stenosis- she has many of the systems. She is such a sweet, smart puppy I hate to have to euthanize her.
I am going to call another local vet this morning - to get a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 days ago.

Hi again,

Since you are planning on having a second opinion locally, please let me know if you did want to discuss her case or would prefer I refer your question back to customer service for a refund.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi - I would like a refund please. The second vet office has better X-ray machine. There is an obvious blockage in her small intestine. I have left her at the vet's for IV therapy, pain med and medicine for nausea. Hoping the hydration therapy works if not she will need surgery. And yes, I am changing vets.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 days ago.

No worries,my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.