Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9mo. old Shi Tsu and she was spayed on Oct.11, 6

Customer Question

I have a 9mo. old Shi Tsu and she was spayed on Oct.11, 6 days ago. She has JUST started not eating or drinking water. I can get her to eat a very few morsels of food from my hand but only 2-3 pieces. What worries me most is the not drinking. She has not drank any water today!!! I am so worried. She acts ok just a little laid back and not very playful.
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a 9 month old Shi Tsu puppy dog.
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?