Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

12 yo cockapoo has bladder stones, Daisy 12, She responded

12 yo cockapoo has bladder stones
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: She responded well to antibiotics but is having trouble again

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What type of bladder stone are they?

Did her vet change her diet or surgically remove these?

What is she fed just now?

What signs are you seeing (ie straining, bladder pain, blood in the urine, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi! I noticed frequent urination. Thought it was an infection but when we went to see the vet urine didn't look bad. X-ray was done and opinion was stones. I don't know type. I was not expecting all the information that followed. Talk about an ultrasound, surgery, diet etc. I went home with antibiotics and to learn more. She got better with the antibiotics. It's been about a week since she finished them and is starting with frequent urination again. I've read different opinions and find it confusing. I see where many times it's repeat surgeries. At $2000+ each that's not doable. Then after twice they try diet and antibiotics, vitamin C etc.

Thank you,

Now I suspect she did have a secondary infection initially (why the antibiotics helped). Though if there are suspect stones they we often see these waxing and waning signs as the bladder stones continually erode/damage the bladder wall allowing bacteria to infiltrate and cause bladder inflammation and then the frequent urination you have seen.

In regards ***** ***** here, the first step would be to speak to her vet about the urine they tested and see if they checked it for crystals (the precursors to stones). If they didn't check this, you may need to bring in a fresh sample for them. This is quite key, since once we know which crystal type is present we would know which of those treatments you noted are appropriate (and things to get a lot clearer once we know that). And if we have a crystal/stone type that can be dissolved by diet, then you may not need to have surgery for her anyway. But again it totally depends on which is present to which treatment options will be ideal for helping Daisy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Jamie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I talked to her vet and asked about the urine. She said it was alkalinish. We are trying antibiotics and Royal Canin SO with a repeat xray in a month. (Vet said she's seen the dogs get pancreatitis from the diet at times.) Vet said it's just her but she tends towards surgery because she knows the stones are gone. I would agree but the bill is very high. She has been on the antibiotics for 3 days. At times she has blood in her urine but hasn't so far today. Unfortunately we can't be sure type of stone. What do you think about the SO diet? And alkalinish urine? Is blood expected at times?

Hi again,

Well, that isn't a great answer there. "Alkalinish" doesn't tell you what crystals type is there. Though I do suspect they will be struvite ones since those are the most common seen in alkaline urine. Therefore, the diet could help her and could dissolve those stones for Daisy. So, I am glad to see they have started diet treatment and its reasonable to try to dissolve those stones and avoid invasive surgery for her. And I have to say that I rarely see any issues like pancreatitis with this diet, so it is worth trying for her.

Finally, as long as the stones are there, we can see occasional blood since they bounce around in the bladder and erode the wall. So,its early days and we'd hope to see that decline as the stones dissolve. But if she is tender, do make sure they put her on dog safe anti-inflammatories in the meantime.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I feel better about the diet and pancreatitis with your response. I considered getting another vets opinion in my area. I wondered about seeing a holistic vet too. That's how I got to you by searching and I'm glad to have you as a resource. Great service!

You are very welcome,my dear.

I am glad I could give you peace of mind and it may be worth seeing what other local options there are for Daisy if her vet isn't keen to medically manage this for her. But again if these are struvite as we suspect, they can often be managed with diet and that would be ideal for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------