Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog has a gash on his ear and I can't get to it without

Customer Question

My dog has a gash on his ear and I can't get to it without him yelping to put his steroid topical medicine on it that was prescribe to him for a cut he had before. He's 160lbs English Mastiff and Boxer mix. I have a Rx for 5mg-325 Oxycod/APAP what dosage can I give him to ease his pain until I can take him to the vet. I know they give him 2x50mg prednisone a day for 4 days then 50 for 6 days and a pain killer every 4-6 hours but I don't know the dosage. Thx for your help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is He 's bleeding a lot?
Customer: not anymore but it's inside the ear like he scratched it with his own toe nails and ripped it open. It's on the inside where it winds down to ear drum but not close to ear drum. Closer to his head
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: No just that he is 9 and he's very healthy dog besides he's starting to get tags and had some knots checked out that came back as fatty tissue. He's still a very vivacious dog.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
His name is Brodie
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He's up to date on all shot's, heart worm test, etc. He's healthy but has allergies and shed's a lot and get dander a lot. We feed him Rachel Ray's Chicken and rice now instead of Pedigree. He was allergic to the grains as he would vomit almost every time he ate. Come to find out he has seasonal, skin, and food allergies. I use an oatmeal conditioner on him. That should be all for his file.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

The Medication that you have: 5mg-325 Oxycod/APAP cannot be given to your dog. It has Acetominophen which is toxic to dogs. Being he is on a steroid for allergies we cannot even recommend Aspirin. The Pain killers the Vet prescribes does not have Acetominophen or aspirin in it, so it is safe. If you have some Neosporin with pain killer and can use that it will give him some relief until you can speak with the Vet in the AM and get some pain killers for him. I wish I had some better news for you, but giving the medication you have can make him ill.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Joan replied 4 days ago.

You are so welcome. Since he has allergies and takes a steroid we have to be careful with giving aspirin. If he was not on it, we could have used it. It is the only OTC pain killer that is safe.

Expert:  Joan replied 2 days ago.

How is Brodie's ear? Did the Vet give you a prescription for pain? Just wanted to follow up with you.