Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Shes a 17 week old bernese and her rear hock bends funny

Customer Question

shes a 17 week old bernese and her rear hock bends funny when she walks making her knee bend out she has no swelling and no pain it doesnt seem to bother her. ive had her to the vet all she said was its not normal the breeder thinks she will outgrow it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yup no wound when u run you hand up and down her leg and foot she doesnt pull back or yelp.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Porsche
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Porsche?
Customer: no otherwise she is growing fine she in orijen large breed dog food she plays normal shes attending puppy class and is a quick learner
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Were any x-rays done on Porsche's legs recently?

Any x-rays done 4 - 5 weeks ago would be too early to see enough calcification of bone ends, long bones and joints.

It might be worth while to see if an x-ray now would show deformed joints or long bones.

I don't think that Porsche will out grow this deformity because she will only get heavier and that might accentuate the problem rather than help it.

Once the bones are fully calcified corrective surgery might help.

Seeing an orthopedic surgeon now will give you a better idea about future prospects.

Ligament laxity (looseness) in giant breeds can also have similar signs. This is not as severe a problem as deformity and may correct with time but you need a diagnosis of the problem to know how to proceed.

I just talked to a colleague of mine who said that she has seen some deformities in large breeds correct themselves. But it requires x-raying the bones to see if any joints are already fusing which might mean that the deformity is permanent.

So once again I recommend you have your dog checked by an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate the legs.

Do you have any question?

We can continue if you wish - I am here to help.

If you feel that we are finished kindly rate this service.