Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

She is broken out in red bumps. She has delicate skin. Can I

Customer Question

She is broken out in red bumps. She has delicate skin. Can I give her Benadryl?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I a so sorry to hear Daisy has these bumps! There is a possibility this is a contact allergy but if they are not going away we may have a mild skin infection that will require oral antibiotics to treat.

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the most itchy areas then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat. A dose of 750 mg EPA & DHA daily and will take 2-4 weeks to have full effect
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains by products
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas of irritation and chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman