Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 55 lb Lab/Akita mix. I have the caplet form of

Customer Question

I have a 55 lb Lab/Akita mix.
I have the caplet form of Pepto Bismol.
What is the dosage we should give him?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just found the medicines are ok together.
Still waiting for dosage to make sure it is ok.
Thank you

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below. As you say these drugs are compatible.

1. If you are using Pepto-Bismol in tablet { Caplet } form, the equivalent dosage for treating acute diarrhoea is 8.75 mg/lb every 4 to 6 hours for 5 days or so. Your dog weighs 55 pounds which works out as { 55 X 8.75 mg } = 481.25 mg.

2. The caplets contain 262 mg so two every 4 - 6 hours should be fine though this is a bit over the recommended dose.

3. It may be that the liquid form would give you a more precise dose, the typical liquid dose administered to dogs is 0.5 to 1.5 ml per pound.. The total daily dose should be divided into two to four doses. This amounts to approximately 2 teaspoons (10 ml total) per 10-pounds per day, ideally split between two to four doses.

4. More info on how Pepto-Bismol is used in the dog here : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just found my answer without this site. Glad it was not urgent

Sorry for the delay I had to get my books out to double check the compatibility of Fluxetine and the ingredients of Pepto-Bismol.

Using the liquid form of Pepto-bismol is often better than the tablet form because it is easier to get the dose rate right.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Pepto Bismol doseage ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.