Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Excessive coughing,she has stage two heartworms. She was a

Customer Question

Excessive coughing,she has stage two heartworms. She was a stray,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Betsy,she might be 10to 12yrs.old.
JA: How old is Betsy?
Customer: 10 perhaps even 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Betsy?
Customer: She is under Vet care,and on Temaril P tablets. But she sounds like she has Brochitis. This Wednesday she will see the Vet. Couldn't get me in soonet. I'm just worried.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Betsy surely does suffer from bronchitis as heartworms within the microvasculature cause parenchymal (lung tissue) immune/allergic reactions (periarterial edema and inflammation), a corticosteroid-responsive allergic pneumonitis, and irreversible pulmonary fibrosis with pulmonary hypertension. There probably isn't enough prednisolone in the Temaril-P to reduce the inflammation caused by Betsy's heartworms. Be sure to let her vet know that she's coughing excessively. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you! Yes she is in constant care with a good Vet in my area.I thank you again for your respond. Good to know that heartworms do such a damage to a pet. She is on slow kill,to me too slow. Never had a pet with heartworms,it's a challenge for me. Have a great day!

You're quite welcome. Playing devil's advocate I must tell you that the slow kill method is no longer considered the standard of care if for the only reason that too much progressive damage continues throughout the treatment period. I understand, however, not treating Betsy in the standard manner at her age. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.