Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog is hacking as if she has a foreign body in her

Customer Question

My dog is hacking as if she has a foreign body in her throat. She is behaving completely normally otherwise. When she pulls on her leash it can provoke the hacking cough. She has gagged a couple of times and vomited last night, but not today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I think she broke a twig in her mouth yesterday and may have aspirated some of it.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy. She is a six month old lab.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: she has had all of her vaccines and she does go to a doggy day care.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Lucy is coughing. It sounds like she might have been exposed to Kennel Cough (CLICK HERE), often at a puppy daycare, boarding, grooming, or dog park but even can have exposure on walks.

Unfortunately even if vaccinated for kennel cough, there are many strains and exposure or even the modified live vaccination itself can still result in kennel cough in puppies and adult dogs. Similar to having a flu vaccination but still getting the flu virus in a more mild form. The cough is comparable to something being caught in the throat or a cat with a hairball.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough becomes productive again I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition if there is development of lethargy or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman