Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Would it be normal to do surgery on a dog with an infection,

would it be normal to do surgery on a dog with an infection
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lila is 9, was treated with antibiotics because they thought she had a uti. After 2 weeks, xrays showed she had bladder stones. They made her wait 2 more weeks with no other antibiotics, still had the infection. After the surgery, the infection spread throughout her body and they waited 6 more days to treat the infection. She spent 6 days in the hospital, almost dead.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lila?
Customer: She survived, but is still having complications with the infection. They said it was MRSA. They also told me 3 different things caused the stones - diet, or infection, or dental disease. I contend that because they were making her wait, they should have cleared up the infection before the surgery. Were they wrong?

I am sorry to hear about your dog's condition and I wish her the best for a complete recovery.

Bladder stones can be secondary to infection, and in cases of struvite stones (unless she is a bichon as these dogs will form sterile struvite stones) they re certainly related to the infection in her bladder. The infection will not go away unless the stones are removed as the stones can serve as a nidus for infection and bacteria can hide within the cracks of the stones causing re-infection. In this case, we have no choice but to do surgery with an infection present in order to treat her properly. Dental disease will not cause bladder stones.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is it normal to do surgery on a dog with an infection?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She had 25 stones removed.

In cases of bladder stones, yes it is normal to do surgery on dogs with infection as we have no other way of controlling it without removing stones. Additionally, for some infections, surgery is the only thing we can do for source control. So, to answer your question yes it can be normal to do surgery on a dog with an infection but in reality it all depends on the type of infection, the surgery that is being performed and her general state of health.

If the infection is related to the stones, perhaps they should have performed surgery sooner. Without having the records to examine what they did do and why they did it, I cannot say with certainly that they were right or wrong by waiting.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie