Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She is leaking saliva a lot from her mouth slowly but

Customer Question

she is leaking saliva a lot from her mouth slowly but steadily since this afternoon
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kali-Rae about 8 months she had a bad case of diorreah same time in afternoon when started salivating
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kali-Rae?
Customer: We took her to Aruba this weekend. She accidently met with a small snake they parted right away no yelp no sign of injury. They have boa constrictor in Aruba I was then informed. Fed her food today at 2:30pm which may not have been fresh enough. I'm sorry.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms tonight...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition as well as having diarrhea but if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No more food tonight please since you have already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman