Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I found a worm on the floor and not sure if it came from the

Customer Question

I found a worm on the floor and not sure if it came from the dog or not.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: George, 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about george?
Customer: He seems to have a rash on his belly.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Can you take a picture and post it here for me to view what you're seeing? Is George having any diarrhea or weight loss?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No weight loss or diarrhea. I found this centipede-like thing on the floor near his bed this morning and am not sure if it came fro the dog or not. It is a moist (dead) centipede. George has seemed bothered in his back end. He also has a rash on his belly. I have no idea if the 2 are related or if the centipede even came from his body.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

Good job on the photo! That creature (centipede) didn't come from any part of George as far as a parasitic host that is. That shouldn't be in his ears, living on his skin or residing in his intestinal tract. It may have came in as a carrier on the fur and then dropped off. It again isn't one that lives on a dog and shouldn't be an issue. The rash on his belly wouldn't be due to the centipede. The rash could easily be due to allergies or that area being a little more moist and irritated and that setting it off. Keeping that area clean and dry can help with mild rashes. Others may need a course of antibiotics to clear it up.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What a relief about the creature. See attached a picture of his belly rash and spot on tail. Is this mange?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

Mange can look like a lot of things, but it doesn't seem to be classic presentation for it. The best thing I can recommend is a quick visit to your vet and they can do a skin scrape to see if it is mange. It could be ring worm, fleas, allergies, or allergic dermatitis.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok, thank you doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 days ago.

I'm glad to help and am hoping for the best for him! Give him a belly rub for me!