Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans,
Experience:  Veterinarian at North Shore Animal Hospital
95953543

My 8.5 year old sheltie has recently (as of the last 2

Customer Question

My 8.5 year old sheltie has recently (as of the last 2 weeks) shown a little bit of struggle when getting up from the sitting or laying down position. She has had a bit of a limp for years which has been checked out on multiple occasions by the vet who said that she's perfectly healthy, has a little stiffness in a hind leg. Most recently, the vet recommended glucosamine supplements - and stated that she perhaps has a little early arthritis (diagnosis over the past summer). In August she had surgery and had 2 lumps from her side removed, which were benign. Recently, I noticed another lump which appears to have popped up quickly - it is much larger and firmer and seems deeper than the previous two and on the opposite side of her chest. She also sounds a little big "breathy" when she breathes (she does not pant, with her mouth open - but when she breathes through her nose it sounds like a bit of a struggle - almost like an asthmatic person). I can't help but think everything is related. She went from being incredibly active to struggling to keep up on walks almost overnight. She has an appointment next week for a biopsy, and aside from the issues stated above - has been eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. Despite her lack of energy - she still engages in play when prompted, but unfortunately doesn't last very long.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No - she is otherwise normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Evans, how are you today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All things considered, I'm doing alright

Please give me a moment to review:

So sorry to hear about your pup!

You may be right that the mass and the breathing may be related. What is the breed of your dog?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is a Shetland Sheepdog ... she had 2 benign lumps removed over the summer (August) and they did do blood work prior to her surgery - if she had cancer would the pre-surgery blood work show any anomalies?

Blood work does not show us cancer. I strongly recommend x-rays of the chest prior to surgery, as the lungs are likely the first place to metastasis if cancer is present.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On Friday she is going in to have a biopsy done - I will ask them about having an x-ray as well. I complained about the breathing over the summer and when the vet examined her he said she sounded normal - that it was common for dogs to sound a bit weezy at times because of something in their trachea (sp?) - but it's become more frequent since then.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He blamed her slowing down on "age" and the limp on early arthritis. She also chews her paws - and now she's on allergy pills. I feel crazy but I really think something is wrong. I guess I will not know definitively until she's checked out on friday. Thanks for your time.

You've done so much so far and it sounds like all the right stuff! The x-rays will help tremendously.

And the biopsy, of course.

I hope I was helpful today! I'll be here if you have any more questions, if not, please leave me a rating!