Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has cancer - sarcoma in the upper left hand jaw, into

Customer Question

She has cancer - sarcoma in the upper left hand jaw, into sinuses and mandibular joint. She doesn't eat as regularly and doesn't seem to be pooping well. My vet said to give her miralax but she has thrown up twice since adding it to her water. I was wondering if that was the cause and if maybe I put too much in. About 3 "cap fulls" into 5 cups of water...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. It was water/liquid. Nothing solid.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Saber and 7 in December
JA: How old is Saber?
Customer: Almost 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Saber?
Customer: The sarcoma has also invaded the roof of her mouth, there is a sizable lump in the back near her throat. It bothers her and I was researching to see if there was anything I could do to ease the pain...(like chloraseptic)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I will be working on a answer promptly.

Can you reply so I know you are still there.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I will opt out at this time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Opted out because I wasn't still here? Whatever.
Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Evans, how are you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fine, and you?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Look, I can't stay online waiting here for someone to "talk" to me... If no one can answer the questions about miralax and chloraseptic I outlined earlier and am going to repeat here then give me my $5 back and I say thank you...
She has cancer - sarcoma in the upper left hand jaw, into sinuses and mandibular joint. She doesn't eat as regularly and doesn't seem to be pooping well. My vet said to give her miralax but she has thrown up twice since adding it to her water. I was wondering if that was the cause and if maybe Iput too much in. About 3 "cap fulls" into 5 cups of water...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. It was water/liquid. Nothing solid.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Saber and 7 in December
JA: How old is Saber?
Customer: Almost 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Saber?
Customer: The sarcoma has also invaded the roof of her mouth, there is a sizable lump in the back near her throat. It bothers her and I was researching to see if there was anything I could do to ease the pain...(like chloraseptic)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, yes, the adverse effects of Miralax include vomiting, nausea, and cramping. Analgesia for such a patient should involve the use of potent opiates such as morphine or buprenorphine. The analgesics in Chloraseptic - phenol and menthol - aren't potent enough for that purpose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.