Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Upset stomach but constipated and loud girdle sounds coming

Customer Question

Upset stomach but constipated and loud girdle sounds coming from dtomach
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie. 4 yrs 17 pounds. Westipoo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: No she is always regular
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long since she last passed stool? Any straining to go?

Has she been eating normally?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last stool yesterday am. No tenderness. But mouth seems dry and straining this am and last night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has been straining to pass stool and we can hear gas moving in her gut, then we do need to give Maggie a bit of help here. Of course, as we do so, we will need to keep an eye out for any belly discomfort, paling gums, or vomiting since she is of an age where blockages from eating odd items would still be a worry.

With this in mind, we can start trying to get things moving by offering some cow's milk. Since dogs are like lactose sensitive people, this can increase gut motility for some and get them passing stool. s well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used here too. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Or if these aren't enough for her, we can treat with a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. Ideally offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). You also want to continue to encourage her to drink since constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure she has have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth to help her to do so.

So, those would be our main steps for Maggie here. Of course, as you treat her do keep an eye on her fecal and urinary output. If you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or she vomits, goes off her food, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.