Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a lab. Guessing age to be 12 to 15. We found him

Customer Question

My dog is a lab. Guessing age to be 12 to 15. We found him along a highway many years back.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** the golf movie Bagger Vance. He has arthritis and over the last six months his reared has become weak and unsteady. In the last few weeks he has been incessantly licking his front paws. Today they started curling under and he had a lot of difficulty walking. He has been taking Rimadyl- 100 mg each morning which I began giving him one at night too. I couldn't reach the vet. This is now very early Monday morning. He is in awful pain I think because he doesn't want to walk at all and I know he has to urinate. He weighs 102lbs and I can' carry him out. Should I give him more Rimadyl?
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. The left paw is warm and he has licked a lot of hair off exposing some red inflammation. There many pine trees outside my home and I thought he may have a one of the stickers broken off in the pad. That wouldn't account for the other paw being the OK (no redness or inflammation) would it? Both paws he keeps licking. He is also on thyroid medication.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bagger?
Customer: They have his file. I just would like to help with the pain. He is such a good boy. I don' want him to suffer. Should I give him another Rimadyl till I can reach the Vet in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that Bagger is so sore, but please be aware that giving 2x100 mg of Rimadyl in 24 hours is an over dose. So, you absolutely cannot give any more and would need to think about reducing what you have been given (you could reduce the evening one to 3/4ths of a tablet but know its still a very high dose). As well, since giving such high doses will run the risk of stomach ulcers (which can make them just as sore as you are seeing but also the reason why no more can be given), you need to think about starting an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) to protect his stomach from damage. And once he is seen, his vet can add in Tramadol or Gabapentin to better manage his discomfort. Or if very severe he may need to be transitioned onto steroids.

Otherwise, I would note that inflammation in both paw could be from something caught but the curling and licking of both does raise concerns of muscle strain or worsening arthritis too. So, we need to block his access to the paws (e-collar or sock over it) and have a good look for anything being stuck. As well, you can soak both in warm Epsom salt treated water to try to reduce the inflammation, soothe the skin, and warm the muscles underlying.

Finally, just to help you get him up, I would note that you can make a sling from a re-usable grocery back (How To- HERE). That way you can get him out to toilet but also to the car to have him seen. Otherwise, if you cannot get Bagger into the car, then may need to request a house visit or check for your local mobile vet to come to him and start some safer pain relief options for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )