Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Just wondering if my dog is either lack of vitamin d or

Customer Question

Just wondering if my dog is either lack of vitamin d or anemic she has been weird we had add mitted her and she need a blood transfusion then she was required to have an operation which was cancelled by a senior veterinary then she prescribed antibiotics which worked but now she is starting to get tired and We don't want to put her down as the tests that were done to her no traces of anything wrong please help us
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was blood work last performed on Scruffy?
2) What surgery was originally needed and then cancelled?
3) When did the antibiotic course end?
4) What antibiotic was given?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
27 august 2016,2 blood transfusions.14 of juroclav 250mg tab,half a tablet twice daily until finish from the 1st September until 15 September .operation on the 19 September on kidney as one was smaller than the other but senior veterinarian decided not to go ahead as scruffy may have been born with a smaller kidney but if scruffy starts to change again bring her back

If she is beginning to act abnormal again, your best bet will be to have blood work rechecked. Blood transfusions last for a short time in most dogs and are meant to give the body time to heal itself and begin regenerating blood cells. If this does not happen, she will again become anemic over time. You can request also that they check her vitamin D levels when blood work is performed, although this is likely a specialty panel and will require a few days time before the results are available.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?