Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Pug bitten by a rattlesnake on her cheek, no doctor

Pug bitten by a rattlesnake on her cheek, no doctor available until 6am. We're keeping her calm, giving her 2ml of pedialite every 15 mins. and have giver her half a 24mg bebnadril to help with swelling. She has now started to pant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the pug bleeding a lot?
Customer: no bleeding just swelling
JA: What is the pug's name and age?
Customer: Lupita
JA: How old is Lupita?
Customer: 6 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lupita?
Customer: no - she does have allergies however so we give her benadril morning and night
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr:D replied 4 days ago.

Hello , This is DrD ,Sorry for the trouble,

Please be aware that this is an emergency as you know. This dog needs antivenin and supportive treatment. Benadryl dosage is 2-4 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. have you got any pain meds at home ?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
i know it's an emergency but we're in Baja California and the vet won't be here till 6am. So we're trying all we can to keep her alive till he arrives.
Expert:  Dr:D replied 4 days ago.

I am in Istanbul , Turkey .Sorry I can not make a phone call .Any pain medication at home ?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Advil, Aspirin, Tylenol
Expert:  Dr:D replied 4 days ago.

You can try Aspirin for the pain . 10 mg/kg three times a day . Please use at your own risk. Aspirin may cause stomach ulcers , nausea,vomiting etc. Pepcid OTC 0.5mg/kg might help to reduce the side effects.

How is the dog doing ? Will the vet have access to antivenin ? You can always try the local human hospital for antivenin . They might help you. Pedialyte is good . Keep administering .

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
difficulty breathing.
Expert:  Dr:D replied 4 days ago.

I know you have no vet in town but Please take her somewhere close by. You may loose her . This dog needs immediate attention. There is nothing you can do at home. Benadryl will not do anything other than calming her.

She needs intravenous fluids, Antivenin, Pain killers , Antibiotics. I am so sorry .

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 days ago.

Please do not give aspirin!! this will make your dog more likely to bleed. There are pain medications that are available that will not increase the chances of bleeding. Snake venom can cause a coagulopathy (inability to clot) and using aspirin may make this worse. Since you are in mexico, these medications may be available over the counter for you. They are called gabapentin and tramadol. Do you have access to these medications?

Also, there is a form of antivenin carried in hospitals down there that is not available in the United States. We used to use this as an option for people that could not afford the US branded stuff. There are several emergency hospitals that are in south san diego and worth the drive across the border to have your dog treated right. Not all dogs need antivenin but most do and the ones that get it do significantly better than those that don't. There is no evidence that using acid suppression prevents aspirin induced GI ulceration. Dogs just do not handle aspirin the way people do.

How is your dog doing? Were you able to get her to a vet in time?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you for help. Great!
***** ********