How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5081
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10-12 pound shih tzu ate about 8 or so grapes and has

Customer Question

My 10-12 pound shih tzu ate about 8 or so grapes and has shown no symptoms of toxicity. He ingested the grapes almost 8 hours ago and since then has eaten, had water and gone to the bathroom normally. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Patches. Grape / raisin toxicity is something that is real. I've seen a few dogs at my ER clinic that have had their kidneys shut down due to the toxin that is in them. Did Patches eat enough of the grapes to have a toxicity develop? That sometimes is where the unknown is. At this time, the toxic component of the grapes / raisins still hasn't been isolated. Can some be more potent than others depending on where they were grown or with what they were fertilized with? Could some dogs be more sensitive to the toxin than others due to underlying issues? There are factors that are being looked into.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Ideally in a situation like this, if I have a dog his size eat grapes of this amount, I will run blood work to see where their kidney values are at to begin with and then recommend being on IV fluids for 24 hours and rechecking the values to see where they are at. Really large ingestions are ones where I will diurese for 2 days.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm just confused because the dog has shown no symptoms. In fact I just took him outside and he urinated just like normal. He hasn't gotten sick he has eaten all of his food and drank all of his water. He is acting just like he always does. Would I be seeing symptoms already if they were supposed to show up?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

That is good that he's not showing any symptoms at this time. It is way better that he's not lethargic, vomiting, or being "off". Maybe he's not one that is more sensitive to the toxin in the grapes or maybe these grapes weren't the worst of them. Maybe he ate less than the 8 grapes. The other maybe is that it is still too early to really see the signs if he's going to have kidney issues. One fairly consistent characteristic is that the dogs start to have GI upset and/or depression within the first 6-24 h of ingesting nephrotoxic levels of grapes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know for a fact that he had to have eaten 8 grapes because they were completely gone from the fruit pack I had today that I threw out and he got a hold of. I threw the grapes away and he ate them all out of the trash. I feel like for a dog his size to have eaten that many grapes and be fine hours later is a good sign. He's always been quite resilient as far as food goes. Do you think I should take him to the vet in the morning? I am just really concerned about it, I know he is showing no symptoms and is doing things as he should but I'm still concerned. I did try to induce vomiting earlier with hydrogen peroxide but to no avail. Do you feel like his chances are good based on the information that I gave you? I just need some peace of mind at this moment. He's my world!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

I would take him to the vet to have them check his blood values of his kidneys to see what that shows. IF they are in any way elevated, then starting IV fluids would be the best thing to do. Grapes again are frustrating as some can eat that many at his weight and be in a world of bad. Others can do the same thing and not have an issue. At this time, his acting completely normal is way better than him having any clinical signs.