Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Will not eat, tootsie 12years, ?????

Customer Question

will not eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: tootsie 12years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about tootsie?
Customer: ?????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

With her age we really do need an examination with these symptoms with potential for bloodwork, urinalysis, and x-rays. Please consider this asap with her symptoms to ensure we do not have further complications such as weight loss and are able to treat the underlying cause swiftly

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope my suggestions were helpful to Tootsie?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!