Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I HAVE A 12 YEAR OLD CHIHUAHUA WHO HAS ALMOST STOPPED

Customer Question

HI:I HAVE A 12 YEAR OLD CHIHUAHUA WHO HAS ALMOST STOPPED EATING.SHE IS ABOUT 2LBS OVER WEIGHT.SHE STARTED THIS ABOUT 3WEEKS AGO.SHE STOPPED EATING HER FOOD WHICH SHE HAS EATEN FOR MANY YEARS.I TRYED OTHER CANED DOGFOODS AND ALSO TRYED DRIED DOG FOOD.SHE WILL NOT EVEN EAT ANY OF HER TREATS ANYMORE.I HAVE TRIED FIXING HER THINGS SHE USTE TO LOVE.SHE WILL NOT EAT THEM ANYMORE,I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO TRY NEXT.DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS?I WILL SURE THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. THANK YOU ***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

With her age and breed we really do need an examination with these symptoms with potential for bloodwork, urinalysis, and x-rays. Please consider this asap with her symptoms to ensure we do not have further weight loss and are able to treat the underlying cause swiftly

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope my suggestions were helpful to your Chi? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman