Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

HE GOT BIT BY A CENTIPEDE, AND HE'S STILL SLUGGISH AFTER TWO

Customer Question

hE GOT BIT BY A CENTIPEDE, AND HE'S STILL SLUGGISH AFTER TWO WEEKS. hE'S A LITTLE CHIWAWA/TERRIER THAT WEIGHS 15LBS. AT MOST.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the terrier. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: hIS NAME IS ***** ***** HE'S 4 IN HUMAN YEARS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bINKY?
Customer: He's got the normal Chiwawa cough, always...and he's doing the backwards two-step Still
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that the cause of Binky's malaise needs to be reassessed. There isn't enough venom in a centipede to cause toxicity in dogs and treatment consists of pain relief and simple wound care only. Binky should have normalized by now if a centipede bite occurred.

Coughing isn't normal in any dog. Chronic coughing in a Chihuahua may be due to advanced heart disease, chronic sterile bronchitis, or perhaps a collapsed trachea. Binky's vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Binky's chest and then treat according to the findings in his exam.

I don't know the significance of Binky's backwards two-step. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?