Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

He ate a feather from my pillow this morning, and now he's

Customer Question

He ate a feather from my pillow this morning, and now he's coughing. He's prone to coughing (he's a chihuahua). I am not sure what to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brooks is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brooks?
Customer: He is also prone to pulling on his collar while walking but has not done so in quite some time. the only different thing is he ate the feather from the floor.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Brooks has this cough. You can try a piece of bread to see if there is any residual pieces of the feather in the esophagus that he is trying to cough up. This will help protect the piece and move it through hopefully without doing any harm to the intestinal tract. Monitor for any pieces out the other end in 24-48 hours.

As for the cough if unrelated to the feather but provide relief, there are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! if the cough becomes productive I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition if there is development of lethargy or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope Brooks is feeling better today and would love an update

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 day ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
He is doing really well. the cough is almost gone. I used the bread and honey and also gave him wet food for a day or two. thank you for all of your help!