Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She just had red diarrhea. Up until then her stools were

She just had red diarrhea. Up until then her stools were normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Crissey, she's 5-6 months old. She's a rescue I've had for two weeks.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Crissey?
Customer: That's the only symptom.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is she lethargic?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. No.
2. Perhaps. I found her chewing on a planter that had potting soil in it.
3. Not that I'm aware of.
4. No. She's playing and is otherwise fine.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, I am sorry Crissey has diarrhea. The red color in the diarrhea is likely blood. When we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, in a puppy like Crissey common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into the regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- I would have her examined by your family veterinarian including a fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter