Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

He is squinting his left eye. My other dog sometimes hits

Customer Question

He is squinting his left eye. My other dog sometimes hits him with her tail.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: he also has allergies
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that Jack is squinting.

My concern is that he may have gotten plant material or debris into his eye, rubbed his eye trying to scratch his face because of his allergies, or his eye got hit by your other dog's tail, which can lead to a corneal abrasion or scratch. Ideally he would see his veterinarian and have his eye stained to look for a scratch.

I understand that may not be possible tonight.

I do recommend that you flush his eye several times with sterile saline. This is the same solution that soft contact lens wearers use in their eyes, ask the pharmacist or drug store clerk for help if you are unsure.

The apply artificial tears every hour or two tonight. You can find these available over the counter at the drug store too. The more lubricated his eye is the better for him and the more comfortable he will be.

Keep him in low light as that will keep him more comfortable.

In case this is some sort of allergic reaction give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours, that's one 25mg tablet per 15-25 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. Antihistamines may make him very sleepy which would actually be good.

He should be much more comfortable in 24 hours but continue the treatment for at least 5-7 days and have him checked on Monday. If he is not much better in 24 hours or starts pawing at his eyes or he has a green or yellow discharge or bulging eyes he needs to be seen by an emergency veterinarian.

If he is pawing at his eye you should place an elizabethan collar (lampshade, cone of shame) on him so he cannot further damage his eye.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 day ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****