Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

There has been a cyst on the dog's left hind leg, outer

Customer Question

There has been a cyst on the dog's left hind leg, outer upper thigh for nearly two years. It has posed no apparent problem, but recently, the cyst has developed some nodules which now protrude several millimeters. Upon being pressed, the dog does not react like he is feeling pain, and no exudate oozes from the nodules. What is the next step that I should consider?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on any foot.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sully
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sully?
Customer: he had a luxating patella on his other knee but no longer has issues
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

How old and which breed is Sully, please? Can you upload a photo(s) of this cyst to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sully is 3 1/2 years old and a lab/hound mix.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Image was attached to most recent message, please let me know if you need me to resend.

Thank you. There's reason to believe that this isn't a simple cyst but, instead a cystic neoplasm - most likely benign or of very low malignancy because it hasn't changed much in nearly two years. To answer you directly, this needs to be biopsied in order to determine what it represents. Surgical resection is likely to be recommended and the extend of surgery would be predicated upon the type of neoplasm; in other words, we might need larger margins around a dangerous growth while we don't need to be so aggressive if the growth is of a very benign nature.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What are your thoughts on the recent bumps on the cyst? Those that are featured in the image I sent?

They indicate further growth of the neoplasm, cystic tissue filling with cyst fluid, or both. They're not indicative of a particular type of growth.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?