Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Pain in left lower ribs, Sassie 11, Rat terrier about 15 lbs

Customer Question

Pain in left lower ribs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sassie 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sassie?
Customer: Rat terrier about 15 lbs
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It is very tender when we try to pet her she cries out almost immediately. Even when we touch it very lightly.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It is very tender when we try to pet her she cries out almost immediately. Even when we touch it very lightly. It has been like this for a couple days now.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she still eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally?
2) Any history of illness or injury?
3) On any medication?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
1) yes to all
2) she's had a a history of bladder infection, before we got her at 3 months she was abused by previous owners, got kicked most likely, another vet found scar tissue under ribcage, but that was more than ten years ago
3) no to meds

Her history of a bladder infection and being kicked might be significant evidence that she needs to be checked. Dogs who are kicked are prone to joint and spinal disorders later in life as they can develop arthritis in those areas. As well, the abdomen and ribs along the side of the body protect the kidneys, which are linked to the urinary system. It's possible that a bladder/kidney infection could be causing her tenderness or, more likely, her back is causing her tenderness.

Because this has been going on for a few days now, it's time to have her examined. This could be something as minor as just needing canine-safe NSAIDs and/or antibiotics or may be something more major. At 11 years of age, we cannot rule out more concerning afflictions with symptoms alone. X-rays and blood work may be recommended to try to get to the bottom of why she is painful in this area.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: