Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog had a batch of puppies. 3 of the 5 have a small

Customer Question

My dog had a batch of puppies. 3 of the 5 have a small bubble where the umbilical cord was. Is this something that needs to be treated?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Perhaps, Stefanie, but that shouldn't be decided until the pups are many months old. The bubble represents a weakness in the muscular wall of the abdomen - in some cases a hernia that needs to be repaired. In most cases, the bubble becomes smaller and smaller and any defect in the wall scars in. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. The puppies are going to new owners soon. Do I tell them they need to have it looked out down the road?

The new owners' vet will make note if herniation is significant. It would be responsible of you to draw attention to this area and admit that you don't know if anything will need to be done. When spaying females, I spend a few extra minutes repairing these defects at the same time of spaying. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Stefanie Colledge,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?