Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My English Mastiff (age 9) has a bad habit of licking his

Customer Question

Hi, my English Mastiff (age 9) has a bad habit of licking his front paw. He has created a deep open wound between his toes. They usually heal on their own when I put mitts on him or his cone, but this one is very deep and worries me. In the past I have put Mupricol ointment on it and that works wonders, but I think this one is too deep for that. Is there anything I can do for it at home or is a vet required?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not really. I noticed when there were bloody spots on my carpet but, it isn't bleeding anymore.
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is currently being treated by a neurologist for potential brain tumor, or spinal compression due to some loss of sensation in his hind legs. I am watching for "unusual" behaviors, but he has been doing this licking thing for a couple of years.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 days ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am sorry to hear your dog has created new spot. These can recur for a variety of reasons, and I am sure you have discussed possible underlying reasons with your vet. As far as treatment the topical muporicin is excellent as you mentioned. You are welcome to try it, but if you feel it is that deep, then it probably is going to require an oral (or injectable) antibiotic to aid in clearing. If the would is through the skin into muscle then some techniques to encourage rapid wound repair that your vet can do are probably also in order.

In the meantime, until you can have this examined keeping it covered but not tightly bandaged to prevent him from licking is important. If you can get away with only using a cone and feel it will not get too contaminated while outdoors then this would be best to allow it to air dry. But if he is able to get to the area even with the cone, as may dogs are often able to when it comes to paws, then keeping the bootie on is a good idea.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey