Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate -- from a knitting needle the size of a pencil or

My dog ate wood -- from a wood knitting needle the size of a pencil or thinner-- and about three inches. Is this an emergency?

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the wood knitting needle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am guessing about three and a half hours
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am sorry I can not make a live call. But, I can answer your question on this thread. Or, I can opt out and allow another expert to help you. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please reply thanks

Okay great, just a few more questions.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Do you know if she chewed the needle and broke it down to smaller pieces?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is 52 pounds. I don't know if she chewed it up; I did find tiny pieces but not enough to know. Part of the knitting needle is a good inch or two of thin plastic in addition to wood.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She had a bowel movement with no wood or plastic evident and normal stool

Did the needle have a very sharp edge or was it blunt?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sharp edge

She is behaving normal; no symptoms, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No symptoms

Thank you for your patience and for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

Leslie, I am sorry you are having this problem with Smooch. In response to your question, right now her condition it is not an emergency, but, there is a risk that it can turn into an emergency situation. It all depends on the size of the needle at the time she swallowed it. In other words, if she chewed the wood into smaller pieces it is very likely she will be able to pass it in the stool without any problems. But, there is always a risk of a piece of wood becoming obstructed or perforating the gastrointestinal tract. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the sharp pieces can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Feed her right now bread or canned pumpkin. Then, change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice and bread to bind the wood and plastic to help pass it in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check her stool if you don't see the pieces in her stool within 48 hours I would have her checked by a veterinarian for x-rays with barium (contrast material).

4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean back into the regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Smooch. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter