Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

He's been having diarrhea since yesterday, He's been having

Customer Question

He's been having diarrhea since yesterday
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He's been having diarrhea since yesterday
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He's thrown up twice
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes, my husband fed him some human food he doesn't usually eat
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riker?
Customer: I have him one tablet of Pepto Bismol and he drank a little bit of Pedialite]
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Preparing an answer shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I am now more concerned because you have mentioned both vomiting AND diarrhea.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

The diarrhea has many of the same differentials.

The pepto and pedialyte were in to try, but it really sounds like the gastrointestinal distress needs better therapy. Many human foods can also cause pancreatitis. You want to avoid giving any human food, especially anything fatty, oily or greasy.

So, I do feel this is well worth a vet visit so you can get some really good stomach and intestinal medication. The vet may suggest some abdominal x-rays and possibly a test for pancreatitis depending on what food your husband gave.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. (due to extended release tablets, this is not always a good choice since it can take over 24 hours before its of any benefit)
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Despite anything suggested above, I do strongly feel the vet visit, today, is well worth it!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

May I be of any further assistance?