Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

We had our dog to the vet on Thursday. Although no

Customer Question

We had our dog to the vet on Thursday. Although no ultrasound was done, we were told he may have some cancer. His red blood count was very low. He has gone downhill dramatically since then. Or vet said he is not in pain, and I believe he is not. Just very very weak. He has not eaten in 3-4 days and had very little water. All other bodily functions are ok, liver, kidney autoimmune etc. our vet said comfort care was about all that is left. I have been very attentive to him, assuring him he is a good dog etc., petting him almost constantly. It is very hard to watch this, but I cannot seem to leave the house while he is like this. Any humane suggestions? He is about 14 years old and has had a good life
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I am very sory to hear about this concern. A very easy and straightforward answer being prepared to help with your decision.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

He is 14. Lived a long wonderful life.

He has a low blood count.

Not eating for several days.

Weak.

Absolutely, his quality of life is gone, and we really can't medically manage him enough to improve the quality of life.

Therefore, euthanasia is absolutely a fair and humane decision. I would vote against waiting for him to pass at home, because that could be days to even weeks of a slow poor decline.

Very very sorry to hear he is not feeling well. Even if not painful, there are many variables that contribute to changes in quality of life.

I would support you 100% with doing euthanasia as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any suggestions for at home euthanisia
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything you can recommend as far as euthanasia at home? Anything we can give him
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Zero. I honestly 100% can say that.

There is no other humane way to do at home euthanasia. I have had people ask about overdoses of medications, pain killers, sleeping pills, etc...these options DO NOT work and caus very bad illness.

Nothing is as fast and humane as a vet giving a sedative like acepromazine or a drug like propofol, followed by euthanasia solution.

Wish I had an option for you but that is a very honest answer.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Wish I could have provided a different answer. I hope everything else is going okay. May I be of any further help?