Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

She has anal sac infections. First time ever. I gave her an

Customer Question

She has anal sac infections. First time ever. I gave her an aspirin and an antibiotic last night, it burst sometime during the night. Do I continue to give her aspirin this evening and the antibiotic?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Terra, she I will be 12 in December, and is overweight.
JA: How old is Terra?
Customer: She will be 12 in December
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Terra?
Customer: Otherwise she seems to be normal, playful, and looks good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

No, I would not continue to give aspirin. It can be very hard on the stomach, and doesn't provide nearly the same benefit as a NSAID that could be prescribed by a vet.

Also, not all antibiotics are created equal for certain types of infections. So, if you were not recently prescribed something by a vet, you really need that vet visit for appropriate antibiotic treatment and to ensure you treat long enough.

Lastly, a ruptured anal gland really benefits from being flushed out at the vet office, and usually, the vet will also flush out the anal gland duct, which many times, can have thick discharge stuck in the duct.

Hope that information helps