Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog got into the garbage on Thursday evening and I

My dog got into the garbage on Thursday evening and I believe he ate a bunch of raw fat cut off of multiple steaks. I am hoping he did not eat the plastic wrapper or paper they put underneath the steaks at the store (with the chunks of fat there I think he went for those first and he wasn't in the garage for long). He was fine that night but I noticed that evening when I took him out to go to the bathroom he was straining to poop and nothing came out. Since then he has been able to poop but it is a medium consistency, not solid like normal. He has been going poop twice a day, not solid, about a quarter of a cup each time. He is urinating normally. He is also acting normal and still eating normal, even up to his normal shenanigans of trying to steal food. Yesterday about 3pm he vomited A LOT and it contained some of his food from that morning and it had a lot of mucous. He hasn't vomited since then (about 18 hours ago). He is also passing gas , which he noramally does. He is a 35 pound, 12 year old beagle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Stormy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stormy?
Customer: I think that is it.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I understand your question, you are concern because he could have eaten the plastic but you are not sure, correct?

2- Any other symptoms besides having loose stool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I am afraid he has a partial obstruction.
He has the loose stool and the quantity isn't as much as it normally is.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, it is common for a dog to develop loose stool or vomit after eating chunks of fat from a steak. But, you are right, if he ate the plastic this could be an indication of the plastic being obstructed. Unfortunately, on history only it is not possible to determine if he has plastic in is gastrointestinal tract, I am sorry. The only way to rule out is by taking x-rays with barium (contrast material). This is what I would do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Stopping the loose stool with medication can make things worse if he has an obstruction.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement or if he becomes lethargic, continues to vomit, develops abdominal distention, pale gums, etc. I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays with barium.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. His stomach isn't distended or painful at all. A friend of mine who is a nurse palpated his stomach and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I actually just caught him trying to steal my other dogs food.

That is a good sign that he has an appetite.

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter