Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

He is a 12 year old Golden retriever with arthritis pain. He

Customer Question

He is a 12 year old Golden retriever with arthritis pain. He has an appt. in a week, but can I give him enteric coated aspirin in the meantime? I'm an RN and understand the side effects of NSAIDS, but it's raining today and hes limping badly on his back left leg. He's most bothered on days like these
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There are no wounds, this has been occurring the last few months with weather changes. I also have RA and Ankylosing Spondylitis, so when I'm hurting, he also is and limps, mostly when getting up after lying down, he walks around and it gets a bit better and some days he's not bothered at all
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chance
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chance?
Customer: He does have 2 large fatty tumors (confirmed by biopsies)
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Chance appears to be in some distress although, unfortunately, his issues are fairly common ones this time of year.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How much does he weigh?

2. I'm assuming that he's not on any steroid medication or other nsaids?

3. Is he taking any supplements?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He weighs 100 pounds and is not on any steroids or any other medication
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm not interested in calling or any membership, I just need this one question answered
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you.

No worries about whatever else the website is offering you. I can answer your one question quite easily. Deb

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

Aspirin can be given to dogs and I often recommend it if arthritis isn't so advanced that the patient requires stronger nsaid medication such as Deramaxx, Previcoxx, Meloxicam or Rimadyl. I tend to dose a little more conservatively in these larger dogs since I don't want to cause gi upset.

If Chance were my patient, I'd suggest 2-2.5 full strength, 325 mg tablets twice a day with food to avoid stomach upset.

My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe (if he has to be seen) but several days should be fine if his appointment is a week away. The reason being that when transitioning from one nsaid to another, there needs to be a wash-out period (which you may already know) of about 3-5 days, depending on the drugs used.

As for supplements, unfortunately, they can take time (several weeks in most cases) to be effective although they aren't effective in all dogs (or humans for that matter). But, the vast majority of my patients appear to be helped by them. So, while they won't necessarily help Chance now, they may in the future.

1. I’m a huge fan of joint supplements such as Dasaquin or Cosequin which are veterinary products specifically formulated for dogs. Quality control is a big problem with these products since what’s on the label is not necessarily what’s in the bottle which is why I mentioned specific brands. These are available on the internet or your vet may carry them.

2. Also, fish oil supplements can be helpful since they have anti-inflammatory properties. Welactin and 3V Derm Caps are good veterinary products and are also available on the internet. Once started, these supplements should be continued for them to be effective; you wouldn't stop and start them, in other words, like you would drugs...but you may already know this.

3. Another option would be Zeel which is a human combination homeopathic that can be used in conjunction with other NSAID medications and has a very low incidence of adverse effects Dose would be one tablet two to three times a day....I'd go with three times a day for the first 2 weeks, then drop back to twice a day for maintenance.

4. Adequan injections can be quite effective but would have to be given by your vet.

5. Combinations of antioxidants such as Cell Advance 880 or Golden Years
6. The Indian spice, Tumeric, at a dose of 1000mg/day

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I have talked to the vet about Remedyl and believe that's what she's going to prescribe. We had him on Cosaquin for quite a long time and initially it helped, but didn't seem to work anymore
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

You're more than welcome.

My feeling about the joint supplements is that arthritis is progressive almost in spite of what we do. I've come to believe that supplements can slow down the progression of the disease, though. And, perhaps at some microscopic level, the condition would be worsening even faster if the supplements weren't in the system.

So, if he were my dog, I'd restart Cosequin since there's not really any down side.

In addition, human pain drugs (such as Tramadol and/or Gabapentin) can be effective in managing arthritis especially when we combine them with an anti-inflammatory (nsaid) drug such as the ones I mentioned. We know that when several combinations of analgesics are given, the patient doesn’t usually need higher doses of each one to be effective since each works differently to achieve better analgesic control. There appears to be a synergistic effect, in other words, when multiple drugs are given as opposed to just one or another.

When I have a patient whose arthritis has progressed to a debilitating degree (or sometimes even before this happens), I'll advise an nsaid and Gabapentin AND Tramadol (which is an excellent anti-pain medication) which can be given concurrently.

Chance may not be this bad yet but I wanted to provide this additional information for the future. Deb

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Where do I see what the total amount of this consultation cost/will be charged to my account? After I entered the question, it showed 5$ plus 14$. It asked if I wanted a membership and I clicked on No Thanks, ***** ***** me to a screen that made me believe I was being charged for a membership
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

Unfortunately, I can't see what you see on your screen. My role is simply to answer questions; however, I can reassure you that if you've been charged for something you didn't want, customer service will be able to help you.

There shouldn't be any problems whatsoever in getting it resolved if it comes to that.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks again, I appreciate the information. Will this Q & A be sent to my email for reference and discussion with my vet next week?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 days ago.

You're more than welcome.

I assume you can cut and paste this exchange or that it has been sent to your email where you can access it. You can also access this exchange at any time you'd like by logging onto the site (at least that's my understanding).

Best of luck with Chance. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb