Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

He is a 9 year old chug he is vomiting water / blood mix and

Customer Question

He is a 9 year old chug he is vomiting water / blood mix and has watery diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no that we know of
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boedy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boedy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn Boedy is vomiting. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Is he lethargic?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

6- Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he didn't eat anything out of the ordinary and no preexisting medical conditions he weighs 18 lbs and is lethargic almost depressed and no medications
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with Boedy. In response to your question, any time we see blood in the vomit we need to assume there could be something damaging the walls of the upper gastrointestinal tract or there could be a systemic disease that is causing the bleeding. The diarrhea is a consequence of what is causing the vomiting as well. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause with a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, liver disease, tumors, coagulation disorders, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having him checked today by ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by your family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter