Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She has a bloated belly and isn't eating much. she did eat a

Hello. She has a bloated belly and isn't eating much. she did eat a half of a piece of bacon and she is drinking water. We just got back from Europe last night and she has been like this 3 days according to dog sitter.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chica. She's an 8 year old min pin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chica?
Customer: We originally thought it was a strain on her right hind leg because she's been limping. Now I''m concerned about her being a bit bloated and want to see if I can give her anything or if she needs to be seen. She is a bit wimpy personality wise but nothing completely out of the norm.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. She jumps off the furniture and once in a while has strains. We even bought a lower bed. She has no clue she's 8 :) I don't see anything superficial. And can't elicit a pain response when feeling her leg and hip. Ok thank you

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Is she spayed?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is she drinking more than usual?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1-no
2-no
3-no
4-no normal

1- Is she defecating?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1-yes
2-she's been limping, right hind leg. and she's less animated, sleeping a lot.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Chica. In response to your question, when we see the belly being bloated this could be a sign of an underlying medical condition. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are fluid build (ascites) secondary to low protein, heart disease, kidney or liver disorders, and tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Treatment for Chica will be based on knowing what is causing the abdominal distention. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. Besides a hands-on examination, she may need blood work, urinalysis, and x-rays as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause.

As far as the lameness, this could be a completely different problem like a soft tissue injury, arthritis, hip disorders, etc. Or, she could be weak because of being ill from one of the above-mentioned diseases. Upon examination by a vet for the abdominal distention, they will also examine her leg and see if this is a different problem.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

You're welcome.