Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have an 8 week old Boxer and last night he got a bath and

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 8 week old Boxer and last night he got a bath and it seems that has ended up with some water in his lungs. He is coughing on and off and dry heaving.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: his name is Morette
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Morette?
Customer: No, he is fine other than that.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can he keep food and water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count your dog’s breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It started last night a few minutes after his bath.
He threw up his breakfast initially after drinking gulping water, then I controlled his water he was able to keep it down.
His gums are light pink.
His breathing is somewhere around 35 to 42 breather per minute.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Thank you,

Would you say that his gums are paler for him or paler compared to yours?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They are paler than mine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Thank you,

Now as always need to tread with care when we have possible aspiration of anything into the airway and lungs. In the airway, we usually only see inflammation and discomfort but in the lungs we can see pneumonia develop.

With that all in mind, his breathing rate is elevated for what we’d expect at rest but only marginally so. And if his gums are asa bit paler then usual, we’d assume that was elevated from discomfort and not oxygen uptake compromise. Of course, we’d need to keep an eye on that and would want to see his breathing rate reduce to closer to 20-30 breaths per minute and those gums pink up as we try to soothe him. Any paler and we'd want him seen by the urgent care vet to determine if we have aspiration pneumonia here.

Otherwise, the fact that he is vomiting and that has been countered by reducing his water intake fits more with a dog that is nauseous then a respiratory issue. So, while I would suggest trying to reduce irritation in the lungs and upper airway by steam treating him, we may need to counter GI upset too. For steam treating, you can take him on the bathroom while you run a hot shower. Or you can use a humidifier/nebulizer for him as well. As for soothing his stomach and throat (which may be raw from coughing up that water), we can try small meals of a soft and light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only)

Overall, we need to tread with care for your lad. It sounds like we may have a mild aspiration pneumonia but the vomiting does not fit with that. So, we'd want to try the above to ease any lung congestion and plan to try a light diet. But if he isnt' settling (since he is so young), we'd want to have him checked to determine if we have an aspiration pneumonia here as antibiotics and bronchodilators may need to be initiated to clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for the information. Does it mater that there is a gurgling or wet sound to his breathing?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

You are very welcome,

If he does sound quite wet, do try the steam but if it continues then we'd want him checked to be safe here.

Best regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.