Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

What is kennel cough?

Customer Question

What is kennel cough?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Kennel cough is the common name for an infectious tracheobronchitis or infectious upper respiratory disease of young dogs. It tends to be characterized by a hacking cough and was referred to a "kennel cough" because it was first reported as spreading through a hunting dog kennel. It can potentially be due to a bacterial infection or viral one. Treatment often is with antibiotics against the bacteria but also to prevent secondary bacteria that may colonize viral infections. And if dogs are very sore with their throats, then we do sometimes use dog safe anti-inflammatories for them +/- mild cough suppressants. In regards ***** ***** latter, we often will use a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. But we'd hope that his antibiotics will halt his signs if this is kennel cough.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )