How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16265
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 6 ounces of chocolate covered raisins, do I need

Customer Question

My dog ate 6 ounces of chocolate covered raisins, do I need to take him to the vet? He weighs 70 pounds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 2 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Oh dear,

In that case, we need to be proactive and work quickly here. Raisins are very dangerous for dogs, as they can cause kidney damage and failure. And as the actual toxin has not been isolated and appears to vary between raisins, we cannot predict if these will cause him harm or not.

Therefore, even though we are getting to the end of our window for inducing vomiting, it is still worth trying just now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it into her. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, since this toxin does target the kidneys, we will need to monitor his thirst and urination. If these increase over the next week, then we'd be concerned there has been damage. Therefore, with that being a risk, you may even want to consider having him into his vet's for IV fluids to flush this out just now +/- monitoring his blood or urine to make sure there is no hint of kidney damage.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Overall, the risk from the chocolate is negligible but the raisins are a serious worry. So, if he had them this long ago, we can still try to induce vomiting but will want to follow up with activated charcoal +/- IV fluids to limit any risk for him here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )