Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 year old mixed breed medium sized dog has been making

Customer Question

My 10 year old mixed breed medium sized dog has been making these horrible sounds. Sounds like an adult trying to clear throat or nose. He's been doing this for awhile but getting worse. He also loves to dig in the dirt and I'm sure that isn't keeping. He also is on arthritis meds and takes a dot once a month. What could it be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Takes a shot!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: His names is Jack and probably 5 lbs overweight. He is part chuichiia mix. He had been struggling recently with the arthritis - his appetite is good and drinks plenty of water. He also lives in a fenced in yard and stays in an air conditioned/ heated garage with our other two dogs. Does not have outside access to any other dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been doing this?

Any retching or gagging?

Has he any breathing changes?

Does he tend to do this more in the morning or evening?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He dies it more in the evening but that is when I'm home so not sure about other times. No retching. This had been going on for several weeks but seems to be getting more frequent. He is scared and I think it does impair his breathing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm worried it's something very serious and I do not want him suffering.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now throat clearing type signs can be due to a few different issues. Given his breed, we may have a degree of tracheal collapse but this could be worsened if he has an underlying bacterial or viral tracheitis or upper airway infection. Since he is indoors, we'd hope parasites can be ruled out. Though masses in the airway or heart issues (since an enlarged heart can push up on the trachea)would still need to be kept in mind at this stage.

With this in mind and since it has been ongoing for weeks, we'd want to monitor over the weekend but plan for a check up once his vet is open. The vet can listen to his lungs, heart and check his throat for collapse risks. Based on their findings, they can start treatment as needed to manage this for him. Otherwise, in the meantime, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I will give the honey and cough syrup and follow up
With our vet Minday. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is a perfect plan of action and hopefully it will just be a grumbling infection that your vet can nip in the bud here. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )