Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Is a Lab/Chow mix--more lab in disopsition. He suffers with

Parker is a Lab/Chow mix--more lab in disopsition. He suffers with Hot Spots: itching, scratching and licking himself
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Parker, 5 years old. Doesn't have fleas. Not currently using flea medicine.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Parker?
Customer: He's black, weighs about 80 pounds sweet disposition around my husband and me. Great watchdog/barker.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Parker.

Hot spots can be very irritating for our dogs. Now often they are linked to moisture being trapped under the dog's thick coat. The moisture leads to moist skin and this allows the bacteria to cause a spreading lesion with pus, redness, and irritation. Once they start, these lesions can spread like forest fires under the coat leading to multiple or very large lesions.

Now in this case with these signs, you will need to aim to keep his skin as dry as possible while providing supportive care. In regards ***** ***** for these lesions, you will want to keep keeping it clean. To do so, you can cleanse them with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine or even salt water --1tbsp to a pint warm water). This will just reduce the bacterial population and help dry out the area before a flare-up can occur. Further to this, you can apply topical OTC antibiotic cream to help settle the infection +/- hydrocortisone cream to reduce the itchiness that it will be causing. Usually that will be enough to settle small flare-ups.

Just to note, if he has a very thick coat aas Chows tend to, we will often shave them to get more air to the site and speed up drying out and healing of the skin. As well, if we have dogs that are prone to these lesions, then we can also use antibacterial shampoo treatment (ie Malaseb or Zincoseb) to keep his skin bacteria in check.

Furthermore, just in case there is an allergy component, you can consider a trial on Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ Dose-wise, we typically will give dogs 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight by mouth up to 2-3 times daily. Now do note that we tend to go for the lower end of the range to start with these dogs since antihistamines can cause drowsiness in dogs (just as it can in people). And of course, you'd want to double check with his vet if he has any pre-existing health issues or is on any other medication.

Finally, if he is very irritated with this and rubbing or scratching the area, do consider an e-collar from the vets or pet store to protect the area. We don't want to cover the lesions themselves because again that would risk locking in moisture and allowing this to fester.

Overall, we do need to be aggressive with this situation if Parker has a hot spot. Therefore, I would advise the above to address his skin. If the lesions are mild, then this is usually enough to settle them. Of course if they are deep, severe, or don't settle with the above treatment, then we'd want to consider systemic antibiotics + a short course of steroids to clear the infection and halt the irritation for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. Will try your suggestions. Jane

You are very welcome, Jane.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Couldn't find how to rate you! Excellent response.

Hi again,

There should be some stars on the top of the page to click on. (1-being poor/5- being excellent). Or if you page isn't showing that you can give a number rating in type and customer service can adjust that for us. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.