Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We have a 10 year old English cocker spaniel, Hollie. She

Customer Question

We have a 10 year old English cocker spaniel, Hollie. She has been a really active, happy dog - always eats her food, will easily so several hours waking a day etc but over the last few days she has dramatically deteriorated. The main symptoms are:
- extremely lethargic (just sleeps, doesn't want to get out of her bed)
- shaking a lot, particularly in her back legs but can be all over and seems to happen when she's breathing in
- can't jump on the sofa or bed (could do this easily a few days back)
- finding it hard to walk. Her back legs seem to drag on the floor. Her back seems really arched like is tucking her hips under.
We took her to the vet and they have given her a thorough examination and found no obvious cause. She didn't yelp at all while they did this although there was a lot of shaking. They also did some bloods which came back clear. They are now saying they think it is arthritis but I just can't believe the deterioration could have been this quick if it was arthritis. I know my dog and she is just so different from how she was even a few days ago that it feels something more must be going on. And I am really worried she is suffering.
Are you able to advise at all?
Lucy (and Hollie!) - London, UK
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did her vet just check a general blood profile? Or were tick borne diseases checked for?

Did they do any xrays of her spine or to confirm arthritis?

What treatment is she on just now?

Had she any chance of trauma before this started?