Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is full of itchy little pimple like bumps all over

Customer Question

My dog is full of itchy little pimple like bumps all over his body and i've tried everything and nothing gets ride of them please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** 11 years old hus a mini pin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about brownie?
Customer: That he's bitting and scratchimg like crazy and because of that he has lots of bald red spots
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these?

What have you used specifically?

When did you last treat for fleas and what product did you use?

Any diet change in the months before this started?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He's had it for a week and what i've given him is benadryl 10 mg and a spray thats too treat hot spots
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Thank you,

Now to hear that he has pimples on his skin tells us that we don't just have an allergy but instead have a bacterial pyoderma. It is possible that an allergy has triggered this secondarily but you will need to treat for the infection as well as the allergy. If it is mild, then you can salt water bathe the pimples and apply OTC antibiotic cream to them 2-3 times daily. If the infection is more diffuse, then an antimicrobial shampoo like Malaseb would be ideal to help counter the infection. Though if more severe or not settling with these, we'd need to have Brownie seen by his vet for antibiotics to treat this infection from the inside out.

Finally, you didn't note his weight, but I would note that Benadryl can be given to soothe itchiness at a dose of 0.5-2mg per pound every 8-12 hours. So, you may need to adjust the dose you are using to reduce his irritation. But again if severe, then his vet should be seen for a long acting steroid to nip that irritation in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.