Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 60lb lab ate and threw up 1/4 pound of Oleander

Customer Question

Our 60lb lab ate and threw up 1/4 pound of Oleander leaves... what should we do. He did not injest any
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stoli and 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stoli?
Customer: He is 1/2 Norweigen Elkhound
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is Stoli just now?

Any other signs?

Can he keep water down?

Any belly discomfort?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We stayed up all night with him. He threw up a couple more times but this morning he ate and drank his food.He seems to be feeling better. His gums ate pink and doesnt seem to have any discomfort
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I am very glad to hear that he has settled since Oleanders can be very dangerous in high doses. It has a toxin that is similar to one of our heart medications and it can cause GI upset as you saw but sometimes even bloody diarrhea, lethargy, wobbliness, tremors, shallow breathing, and collapse. But if he has only had vomiting and is turning a corner we can all breathe a sigh of relief here.

Of course, we will still need to keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours. If he seems nauseous at all, you can put him onto an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

As long as he stays settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, Oleander is quite a dangerous plant so I am very glad he has only had mild signs . In this case, do still keep an eye and use the above as needed. And since he has shown poor judgement with eating this, please do make sure to block his access from this plant to prevent any more issues from it.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you soo much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you all,

Dr. B.