Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 25# sheltie just ate almost an entire package of

Customer Question

My 25# ***** just ate almost an entire package of Glycoflex 2 chews. Will this harm him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tucker is just over 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: No, he is in very good health
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Even though this will not be toxic the amount ingested for Tucker's size I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of gi upset the next 12-24 hours.

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken tomorrow morning (nothing else tonight) in small more frequent meals only IF there is no vomiting overnight. If there is please wait 12 hours after the vomiting subsides
- Pepcid (famotidine) 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every 12 hours to help settle his stomach beginning in an hour. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools, again waiting until tomorrow

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools or vomiting is not subsiding please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms and basic bloodwork to ensure there are no organ issues associated with this ingestion (very unlikely but something we need to rule out). In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass).

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am hearing about this long distance. It sounds like he ingested it 1 to 1.5 hrs ago. Should we still try to induce vomiting, or is it too late?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

I would still try, with this volume it likely is causing gi stasis and at least some of the chews should still be in the stomach. There are a few sizes of the packaging so I am unsure of the risks but inducing vomiting would still be advised

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also, as I think about it, his weight might be closer to 20#:(Sorry, we have 3 shelties and I'm estimating his weight based on the other 2 who just had their checkups & weights checked)
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

Then this would be 2 teaspoons of peroxide but I would not change the antacid dose

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What is "gistasis"?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

Gi stasis means that the gut stops moving along for a while

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

For example, the stomach usually empties within an hour but when it is overly filled it might be 2-3 hours before it begins to empty

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Got it. I thought you had typed it as one word, which I did not recognize. What is the worst that will happen if we cannot get him to vomit ?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

Gastroenteritis or inflammation of the gi tract and in some cases need to be hospitalized to maintain hydration and stop the gi upset. If a large enough volume is ingested it can cause some injury to the kidneys but it would require quite a large volume to do this

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK, thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

You are very welcome, I hope he has no ill effects from this and vomits with the peroxide!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 days ago.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!