Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Dogsitting and black lab 50lbs ate approximately 25-30 dark

Customer Question

Dogsitting and black lab 50lbs ate approximately 25-30 dark chocolate Hershey kisses. Is peroxide still ok to induce vomiting or should I take her to the emergency vet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your quesiton, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

She ate enough of the chocolate to cause a potentiously dangerous strain on the heart called a tachyarrythmia. I personally recommend the emergency center. Using hydrogen peroxide is not risk free. It can cause stomach problems and aspiration pneumonia. The ER has apomorphine which is a much safer way to induce vomiting. They can also determine if she needs activated charcoal depending on her heart rate or further support. If you want to try inducing vomiting the instructions are to follow but again I'd suggest the emergency room as she's eaten enough to cause a problem:

Give 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. If she doesn't vomit in 15 min give her one more dose but no more.

If we can't make him vomit and some dogs won't no matter what we do, then she must see the ER for activated charcoal.

I hope this helps if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating.

Dr. Dan