Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

Our bichon frisk has started scratching her ear constantly.

Our bichon frisk has started scratching her ear constantly. She does not have fleas or ear mites. Any advice?

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Chanin is scratching her ear constantly. This is usually a sign of an ear infection. Is there any discharge inside the ear that you can see? Any redness or scaling?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Redness, not sure what scaling is.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She doesn't seem to have any discharge, and it doesn't appear to hurt her

Scales or flakes. Sort of like this.

The scales can also be white and flaky

You can also post a photo here for verification

Ok redness indicates she may have an infection deeper in the ear canal that is not visible on the outside with a special instrument (ophthalmoscope).

What have you been using to clean the ears?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm trying to send a picture but the site is having a problem. The ear isn't flaky but it's very red and it scaly based on what you stated earlier.

Yes that definitely looks like what I suspected. There is an infection deeper in the ear canal. You can tell by the rough appearance of the ear canal and the redness. She needs topical ear medication to clear this up. It is likely a yeast infection inside the ear canal based on how itchy it is. Unfortunately you will have to visit a local vet to acquire the medication she needs, because there are no over the counter ear medications available for pets or people.

Yeast ear infections are usually caused by moisture getting inside the ear. Typically after a recent bath. Also another common cause, if she keeps on getting ear infections and they appear chronic, is an underlying thyroid issue.

-Dr. H

Are you using a pet formulated ear cleaner? These can help ease some of the discomfort until you can get Chanin in to your vet. Especially if it is anti-fungal/anti-bacterial.

- Dr. H

I would definitely recommend stopping the Vaseline. It won't help here and can make it worse because it traps moisture.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I've haven't used an ear cleaner yet. I will stop with the Vaseline. What medication is required?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there a particular ear cleaner you recommend

Oh I assumed you had an ear cleaner because you said you have been cleaning the ears.

The medication that is needed is dependent on what an ear cytology shows, but typically we go with both an anti-bacterial/antifungal medication such as Tresaderm, Remicin, Ottomax, Mometamaxx. Gosh there are so many prescription choices to choose from on the market right now. It really just depends on what is available through your vet but those are some of the common ones used.

Ear cleaner is also variable on what is available, but a combined anti-fungal antibacterial one is best, ***** ***** Epi-Otic, Duoxo micellar, etc.

For an ear infection this itchy you are best going with both a ear cleanser AND ear medication combination to knock this out. - Dr. H

Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning Chanin?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!!

You are most welcome. Best of luck with Chanin and her ear issues. Take care now! : )

- Dr. H

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day*

- Dr. H

Hi Chanin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chanin Mckeighen. How is everything going?