Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is very old 16 years... He has a huge fat growth on

Customer Question

my dog is very old 16 years... He has a huge fat growth on his buttocks that I was told not to have operated on since he was so old... now he can not use his rear legs effectively and is stuck halfway in his dog house... I can not find a muzzle and he will bite me if I try and help in any way... what can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: it is serious I am sure his time has come
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the most humane way to put him down? Preferably just go to sleep?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Unfortunately, the most you can do at this point is to keep him comfortable with pain medications. Rimadyl, tramadol and gabapentin are all good choices, especially when used in combination. He may be able to move better. Otherwise, humane euthanasia would be the next best option at this point if he is having problems getting around and not responding to pain medications. The most humane and sure fire way to make sure he doesn't suffer is to have your vet sedate him, put in a catheter and give pentobarbital. That is a very smooth and easy way to go. There isn't anything you can give at home for euthanasia that won't have the potential to cause him to suffer even more. If he is having a hard time and clearly uncomfortable, I wouldn't just let him go on his own. That is just making him suffer more. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any further questions.